Marin Kurti, PhD (Affiliate)
Sociology, Anthropology, Criminology, Social Work
My current research interest focus on tobacco control (part of cancer prevention and control). The majority of my published manuscripts focus primarily on the illicit cigarette market including counterfeit and contraband cigarettes. My published papers examine trends in tax avoidance and evasion, efficacy of tax laws aimed at curbing the illicit market and smokers’ participation in and perception of the illegal market in New York City.
Masters of Arts John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 2011
Doctor of Philosophy Rutgers University, 2019
1. Chan, Tiffany, Guy Robinson, Jonathan Liu, Marin Kurti, Yi He, Klaus von Lampe (Forthcoming). “Identifying Counterfeit Cigarettes Using Environmental Pollen Analysis: An Improved Procedure”. Journal of Forensic Sciences.
2. Kurti, M., Kevin R.J. Schroth, Christopher Ackerman, Michelle Kennedy, Michelle Jeong, Cristine D. Delnevo. (Forthcoming). “Availability of Menthol Cigarettes in Oakland, California After a Partial Flavor Ban”. Preventive Medicine Reports.
3. Wackowski, Olivia, Marin Kurti, Kevin Schroth, Cristine Delnevo (Forthcoming). “Examination of Voluntary Compliance with New FDA Cigar Warning Labels Requirements” Tobacco Regulatory Science.
4. Jeong, Michelle, Marin Kurti, Mary Hrywna, Christopher Ackerman, and Cristine Delnevo (2020). “Changes in Tobacco Product Advertisements at Point of Sale, 2015-2018: Findings from a Cohort of Tobacco Retailers Surrounding New Jersey High Schools” Pediatrics
5. Kurti, Marin, Kevin Schroth and Cristine Delnevo. (2020). “A Discarded Cigar Package Survey in New York City: Indicators of Non-Compliance with Local Flavored Tobacco Restrictions”. Tobacco Control
6. Kurti, Marin, Klaus von Lampe, Yi He, Hiba Khanzada*, Konstantin Kostara*, Qin Da and Kevin RJ Schroth. (2020). “Categorizing Characteristics of Counterfeit Marlboro Cigarettes: Systematic Review of Tobacco Industry Documents” Tobacco Control, 29(2), 228-230.
7. Delnevo, Cristine, Daniel Giovenco, Marin Kurti and Abdulrahman Al-Shujairi. (2020) “Co-marketing of marijuana and cigars in US Convenience Stores” Tobacco Control 29(2), 224-225.
8. Schroth, Kevin, Andrea Villanti, Marin Kurti and Cristine Delnevo (2019) “Why an FDA Ban on Menthol is Likely to Survive a Tobacco Industry Lawsuit”. Public Health Reports 34(3), 300-306.
9. Kurti, Marin, Klaus von Lampe, Yi He, Cristine Delnevo, and Da Qin. (2019). “Innovations in Counterfeiting Tax Stamps: A study of Ultraviolet Watermarks in a Sample of Discarded New York City Packs” Tobacco Control 28(4), pp.469-471.
10. Kurti, Marin, Yi He, Diana Silver, Margaret Giorgio, Klaus von Lampe, James Macinko, Fidelis Tan*, Ye Hua*, and Victoria Mei*. (2019). “Presence of Counterfeit Cigarettes in Licensed Retail Stores in New York City: Evidence from Test Purchases”. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 21(8), 1131-1134.
11. von Lampe Klaus, Marin Kurti and Jacqueline Johnson. (2018). “I’m going to get me a loosie”: Single cigarette purchases in the South Bronx. Preventive Medicine Reports, 12, 182-185.
12. Kurti, Marin, Yi He, Klaus von Lampe, and Yanlei Li. (2017). “Identifying Counterfeit Cigarette Packs Using Ultraviolet Irradiation and Light Microscopy”. Tobacco Control, 26(1), 29-33.
13. von Lampe, Klaus, and Marin Kurti. (2016). “The Illegal Cigarette Trade in New York City”. Trends in Organized Crime, 19(3-4), 329-350.
14. von Lampe, Klaus, Marin Kurti, Jacqueline Johnson and Andres F. Rengifo. (2016). “ ‘I Wouldn’t Take My Chances on the Street’: Navigating Illegal Cigarette Purchases in the South Bronx” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 53(5) 654-680.
15. Consore, Kimberly, Marin Kurti, David Merriman and Klaus von Lampe. (2016). “Spring Breaks and Cigarette Tax Non-Compliance: Evidence from a New York City College Sample” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 18(8): 1773-1779.
16. He, Yi, Klaus von Lampe, Laura Wood and Marin Kurti. (2015) “Investigation of Lead and Cadmium in Counterfeit Cigarettes Seized in the United States” Food and Chemical Toxicology, 81, 40-45.
17. Kurti, Marin, Klaus von Lampe and Jacqueline Johnson. (2015). “The Intended and Unintended Consequences of a Legal Measure to Cut the Flow of Illegal Cigarettes into New York City: The Case of the South Bronx” American Journal of Public Health, 105(4) 750-756.
18. Kurti, Marin, Klaus von Lampe and Douglas E. Thompkins. (2013). “The Illegal Cigarette Market in a Socioeconomically Deprived Inner-City Area: The Case of the South Bronx” Tobacco Control, 22(2) 138-40.
19. von Lampe, Klaus, Marin Kurti, Anqi Shen, and Georgios Antonopoulos. (2012). “China’s Changing Role in the Global Illegal Cigarette Trade.” International Criminal Justice Review, 22, 43-67.
20. Andersen, Robin and Marin Kurti. (2009). “From America’s Army to Call of Duty: Doing Battle with the Military Entertainment Complex.” Democratic Communique, 23 (1) 45-65.
|Mailing Address||83 Windham Street Willimantic, Connecticut 06226|