Gee Su Yang, PhD
My program of research is focused on exploring biobehavioral mechanisms of pain and other comorbid symptoms (anxiety, depression, fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, and sleep disturbances) and developing tailored treatment strategies to reduce or eliminate symptom burden and improve health outcomes for cancer patients. To do this, I am interested in applying multi-omics approaches and behavioral assays in preclinical (mouse model) and clinical projects through interdisciplinary research. Specifically, I am working on the study that aims to assess somatosensory phenotype profiles of aromatase inhibitor-associated musculoskeletal symptoms (AIMSS) and potential influences of psychological and genetic/genomic factors on the development and severity of AIMSS in breast cancer patients.
Ph.D. University of Maryland, Baltimore, 2017
1. Kim, J. L., Yang, G. S., Lyon, D. E., Kelly, D. L., & Stechmiller, J. K. (In Press). Metabolomics: Impact of comorbidities and inflammation on sickness behaviors for individuals with chronic wounds. Advances in Wound Care.
2. Bayer, S., Yang, G. S., & Lyon, D. E. (Accepted). Genetic variations associated with depressive symptoms in breast cancer patients: A systematic review. Cancer Nursing.
3. Menzies, V. S., Starkweather, A. R., Yingwei, Y., Kelly, D. L., Garrett, T. J., Yang, G. S., Booker, S., Swift-Scanlan, T., Mahmud, I., & Lyon, D. E. (In Press). Exploring associations between metabolites and symptoms of fatigue, depression and pain in women with fibromyalgia. Biological Research for nursing.
4. Yang, G. S., Mi, X., Jackson-Cook, C. K., Starkweather, A. R., Kelly, D. L., Fei, Z., & Lyon, D. E. (2020). Differential DNA methylation following chemotherapy for breast cancer is associated with cognitive dysfunction. Epigenetics, 15(5), 499-510.
5. Han, C. J., Yang, G. S., & Syrjalal, K. (2020). Symptom experiences in colorectal cancer survivors after cancer treatments: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Nursing. 43(3), E132-E158.
6. Yang, G. S., Barnes, N. M., Lyon, D. E., Dorsey, S. G. (2019). Genetic variants associated with cancer pain and response to opioid analgesics: Implications for precision pain management. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 35(3), 291-299.
7. Gullett, J. M., Cohen, R. A., Yang, G. S., Menzies, V. S., Fieo, R., Kelly, D. L., Starkweather, A. R., Jackson-Cook, C. K., & Lyon, D. E. (2019). Relationship of fatigue with cognitive performance in women with early-stage breast cancer over two years. Psychooncology. 28(5), 997-1003.
8. Menzies, V. S., Kelly, D. L., Yang, G. S., Startweather, A. R., & Lyon, D. E. (Epub Ahead of Print). A systematic review of the association between fatigue and cognition in chronic noncommunicable diseases (NCDs). Chronic Illness.
9. Kelly, D. L., Yang, G. S., Starkweather, A. R., Siangphoe, U., Delpech, P. A., & Lyon, D. E. (Epub Ahead of Print). Relationships among fatigue, anxiety, depression, and pain and health-promoting lifestyle behaviors in women with early-stage breast cancer. Cancer Nursing.
10. Yang, G. S., Kumar, S., Dorsey, S. D., Starkweather, A. R., Kelly, D. L., & Lyon, D. E. (2019). Systematic review of genetic polymorphisms associated with psychoneurological symptoms in breast cancer survivors. Supportive Care in Cancer, 27(2), 351-371.
11. Kim, H. J., Yang, G. S., Greenspan, J. D., Downton, K. D., Griffith, K. A., Renn, C. L., … & Dorsey, S. G. (2016). Racial and ethnic differences in experimental pain sensitivity: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain, 158(2), 194-211.
12. Yang, G. S., Kim, H. J., Griffith, K. A., Zhu, S., Dorsey, S. G., & Renn, C. L. (2016). Interventions for the Treatment of Aromatase Inhibitor-Associated Arthralgia in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Cancer Nursing, 40(4), E26-E41.
13. Han, C. J., & Yang, G. S. (2015). Fatigue in irritable bowel syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of pooled frequency and severity of fatigue. Asian Nursing Research, 10(1), 1-10.
14. Griffioen, M. A., Dernetz, V. H., Yang, G. S., Griffith, K. A., Dorsey, S. G., & Renn, C. L. (2015). Evaluation of dynamic weight bearing for measurement non-evoked inflammatory hyperalgesia in mice. Nursing Research, 64(2).
15. Yang, G. S., & Choe, M. A. (2013). Effect of anorexia and neuropathic pain induced by cisplatin on hindlimb muscles of rat. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 43(3), 361-369.
|Mailing Address||231 Glenbrook Road, Unit 4026, Storrs, CT 06269|
|Office Location||Office SH110|